About the Vipassana Meditation Center
Travel Information By Car, Bus, and Air:
The Vipassana Meditation Center is located in the town of Shelburne, Massachusetts, approximately 6 miles west of the the town of Greenfield, 6 miles east of the village of Shelburne Falls, in the western part of the state.
Online Ridesharing Board
For ride sharing information please visit the Vipassana Rideshare Board for Dhamma Dharā.
MapQuest directions to the Vipassana Meditation Center (fill in your starting location and press "Get Directions")
From BOSTON: (2 hours) Either take Interstate 90 West (Mass. Turnpike)
to Interstate 91 and head north on I-91 to Exit 26 (Mohawk Trail), or take
Route 2 West to I-91 and head south to Exit 26. Then follow the map
From NEW YORK: (4 hours) Take Interstate 95 North, then Interstate
91 North to Exit 26 in Massachusetts, and then follow the map below. By
bus, take Peter Pan to Springfield, then switch over to Vermont Transit,
to Greenfield. See below for additions information.
MapQuest directions from New York City to the Vipassana Meditation Center
From MONTREAL: (5 hours) Cross the Champlain Bridge and take the Eastern
Townships Autoroute 10 to Exit 22. Then follow Autoroute 35 South
through St. Jean and the Philipsburg border-crossing to U.S. Interstate
89 South. At White River Junction, switch to Interstate 91 South,
and in Massachusetts get off at Exit 26 onto Route 2 West (Mohawk Trail)
and follow the map below.
From BRADLEY AIRPORT [BDL](Hartford/Springfield)
MapQuest directions from Bradley Airport to the Vipassana Meditation Center
From I-91 EXIT 26 in Massachusetts: Follow Route 2 West (Mohawk Trail) towards North Adams. After about three miles you will see a Greenfield Co-operative Bank ATM on your left. Take the very next right-hand turn onto Colrain-Shelburne Road, approximately 100 feet after the ATM. (Signs point to Colrain and Jacksonville, VT.) Follow this road for about two miles until you see the Vipassana Meditation Center sign on your left.
To offer a ride to other students, please visit the Vipassana Rideshare Board for Dhamma Dharā.
Note: This information was accurate as of December 2012.
Students and Servers need to arrive at VMC by 5 pm.
Amhert Amtrak Station
About 30 minutes from Dhamma Dharā
- 13 Railroad Street, Amhert, MA 01002
- One arrival per day, Train 56, departs NYC's Penn Station at 11:30 am and arrives in Amherst at 4:20 pm. It costs $50 per passenger.
- Once you arrive in Amherst, an individual or group can take a 30 minute shuttle or Taxi directly to Dhamma Dhara.
- It is best if students traveling from NY congregate in Amherst and book a taxi together to save money.
- Gotta Go Taxi in Amherst (413-461-3070) quoted a price of $45.
Springfield Amtrak Station
About 30 minutes from Dhamma Dharā
- 66 Lyman Street, Springfield, MA 01103
- The Amtrak station in Springfield, Massachusetts has several arrivals per day.
- Springfield is 1 hour away, requiring taking a taxi to the center for about $80-$110.
- Ace Taxi in Springfield quoted a price of $105-$110: (413) 730-4443.
- About Town Taxi quoted $106: (413) 774-4000.
Brattleboro Amtrak Station
About 30 minutes from Dhamma Dharā
- 10 Vernon Road, Brattleboro, VT 05301.
Greenfield Bus Station
About 15 minutes from VMC
As of November 2012, the only Greyhound bus from New York City to Greenfield MA that
will get you to Dhamma Dharā on time leaves Port Authority at approximately 5:30 am.
Registration at the Center will open at 2:00 pm.
- About Town Taxi, (413) 774-4000, or Ace Taxi, (413) 773-9063 (about $16)
- There is another Greyhounds/PeterPan bus leaving NYC at 2:15pm that arrives too late. Do not take this bus.
Amherst Bus Station
About 30 minutes from VMC
- There are several Peter Pan buses from NYC to Amherst MA, leaving at 5:30am, 8:00am,10:30am.
- From Amherst, one can hire a taxi service to get to the center. Do not take any later bus as you will not be able to reach the center on time.
Megabus offers service from New York City, departing at 12:20pm from 34th St. between 11th
Ave. and 12th Ave. Arriving in Amherst/Hadley at 4:40pm at the Hampshire Mall between
Cinemark and the Arizona Pizza Company. Fares range from $1-25, depending on how full the
- Gotta Go Taxi approximately $45. (413) 461-3070.
- Celebrity Cab, approximately $55. (413) 253-7330.
- Safari Taxi, (413) 306-8298.
Bradley International Airport (BDL)
- Closest Airport to Dhamma Dharā, located In Hartford, Connecticut
- Approximately 1 hour driving time to Dhamma Dharā
- You can take a Shuttle (about 1 hour) Please book as far in advance as possible. Last minute reservations are more expensive. Rates valid as of August 24, 2011.
- Taxi Service from Bradley Airport
- Gotta Go Taxi:(413) 461-3070. $90 for a shuttle from Bradley Airport (BDL) to VMC, not including tip. Can take up to 5 passengers.
Valley Transporter: (800) 872-8752 or (413) 253-1350, will transport directly to the Center.
Prices from Bradley Airport (BDL): 1 person - $88.55 each way incl. tip, 2 people $113.55, 3+
people traveling together +$15 each person each way, except for travel around the holidays,
when prices vary.
- Inexpensive Bus Service from Bradley Aiport
The Bradley Flyer (http://www.cttransit.com/routesschedules/bradleyflyer.asp) bus leaves Bradley Airport every hour or two, starting at 4:40am, from the Lower Levels of Terminals A and B. It costs $1.25 and takes you to downtown Hartford, Connecticut, in about 35 minutes, where you can then walk 5 minutes to the Union Street Greyhound Station. From Hartford, CT to Greenfield, MA
- Depart for Greenfield, Massachusetts at 9:15 am, 4:35 pm and 6:15 pm and cost $26 - $31 one way, taking 2 hours.
From Greenfield, you can take a short taxi ride to Dhamma Dhara for about $16 by calling Ace Cab - (413) 773 9063.
Please note: this travel option turns a 1 hour trip into approx. 3-4 hours, but is less expensive than taking a Shuttle (below).
You must take the 7:42am Bradley Flyer to arrive in Greenfield by 11am, the only option that allows you to arrive at Dhamma Dhara before 5pm.
Logan Airport (BOS)
- Located in Boston (about 2.5 hours from VMC)
- For detailed transportation information to and from Boston Logan call, 1-800 23 Logan.
- Taxi service is available from each terminal (arrival) curbside.
- Airport T (metro) shuttle service is provided between airline terminals and subway.
- The Silver Line will connect you to the Red Line and Commuter Rail at South Station.
- From South station, you can take a bus to Greenfield, which takes about 4 hours. Check with Greyhound or Peter Pan.
- You can also contact Valley Transporter (800) 872-8752 or Thomas Transportation (800) 526-8143 to check prices.
From Kennedy Airport (JFK) in New York City
About 3 hours driving time from Dhamma Dharā
There's an online planner that will show you the options and times to get from JFK to the NYC
bus or train stations. From Port Authority or Grand Central Station, look for a bus or train to
Greenfield, Amherst, or Springfield MA.
From Boston Logan Airport (BOS)
Budget will rent one way to Springfield, MA. National and Enterprise don't do one way rentals to Western MA.
On Travel Arrangements
Students should make proper travel arrangements, allowing sufficient
time for travel to and from bus and train stations and airports.
If you have any difficulty, please do not hesitate to call us at (413)
Dhamma Dharā has no affiliation with any of the above travel services. Except as otherwise noted, rates listed were accurate as of May 2011; please send corrections to the webmaster address below.